Tuesday, January 05, 2010

weather appropriate poetry

written march 2007 in response to something that someone else wrote....:


it is snowing again tonight. as i watch the flakes drift softly down towards the ground, occasionally interrupted by a gust of wind, i am reminded of you. i see the sparkle of your eyes in every flake that catches at least the slightest edge of light and reflects it back into my eyes.

the softness with which it lays--white and delicate--on the ground reminds me of the softness of your skin. it reminds me of the places on your back and arms and legs which the sun has not seen for at least many months.

the quietness makes my head and heart swell with visions of sitting with you; quiet and close. not saying a word to each other not because we are angry, or cannot communicate, but because we do not need to speak to enjoy each other. to enjoy the company of a dear friend who has become so much more is perhaps the greatest pleasure and aspiration life has to offer.

and the cold should not bother me much as long as i have you by my side. there is a warmth emanating from the depths of your soul, the apex of which i wish both to be able to stand upon and also never to find.

and beauty. oh, if only you could have the vision of my eyes for just one moment as i look at you. you are most beautiful. you beauty enraptures and encompasses all of my senses until i am completely spent and all i can touch, see, smell, taste, and breathe, is you. it is both debilitating and strengthening--holding me suspended in mid-air as if i were floating--no! flying! because to float would be too idle a task after an encounter of your beauty.

No comments: