Wednesday, June 02, 2010

spr episode 30: a new goal

Please forgive the horribly inept Star Wars reference that is the title of this post.

As I was cruising around on facebook this evening--as I normally do--trolling the internet for cheap amusement and a farce of a muse, I inadvertently set a goal for myself that I believe I will hold myself to:

Between now and my 40th birthday, I will rock climb, boulder, or ice climb in all 50 states.

If you do the math, that averages out to be 5 states a year (the last time i checked, anyhow).

This means that 1) I need to travel more, 2) I need to plan for travel more, 3) I need to find people that might be willing to help me out on this endeavour.

Now to some, this may seem like no big deal. And it isn't. Except that in the first 30 years of my life, I have been in less than half of the states, and most of those were when I was just driving though.

I obviously don't get out much.

This year I hope to knock out Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Washington (God willing...), Indiana (maybe), and of course, Pennsylvania. I can easily do 4 of those, but I am setting my sights high and going for a few more.

I think I might go to the store, get some poster board, draw an artistic interpretation of the general shape of the country with the state borders (or coerce an artistic friend to do it for me) and use that as my checklist... I might even use some gold stars or stickers or something.




Dang, now I'm excited.

No comments: