Monday, February 07, 2011

When I turned 30

Eight months ago,when I turned thirty, and the year leading up to it, I set some goals for myself. Technically, I have not broken any of those goals--they were not "when I TURN thirty" goals, they were "when I AM thirty" goals. An example of this would be "I am going to quit smoking when I am thirty"... Well, I still smoke on occasion, and I am still 30. I technically have to quit before I am thirty-one otherwise i have broken my goal (I love the English language)

So here I am, thirty years old, and I am going to start running again for the first time since high school.

I have always been moderately physically active. I am a rock climber, kayaker (is that a word?), hiker, backpacker, mountain and road cyclist. I've even been known to run once or twice during a game of ultimate frisbee or just for fun, but I have not run for the sake of running and fitness since I was on the rowing team in the fall of my senior year of high school... I'm not good at math, but that was over a decade ago.

So, as I sit here on my couch writing this post, I am downloading some podcasts to listen to when I start running using the Couch-to-5k Running Program (the program can be found at http://www.coolrunning.com. Podcasts are scattered all over the internet).

I may start today or tomorrow... or never.... But I did just buy a new pair of shoes that happen to be "running shoes". I didn't really buy them with the intention of running in mind, but I guess the idea was tucked back in some fold in my gray matter somewhere.

Here's to a healthier next 30 years!

No comments: