Sunday, August 30, 2009

what do you do with a kayak that doesn't belong to you when you are about to move?

So, the other night when I was walking my dog, two young boys (mid teens?) were
carrying a kayak down the street, which seemed suspicious to me,
especially at that late hour. As I got closer to them, one of the
boys asked me if I wanted to buy a 'canoe'. Assuming it was stolen, I
pretended to get angry and said it was my kayak and I was walking
around the neighborhood looking for it. My pretend anger and large
dog must have been enough persuasion for the boys, because they
dropped the kayak and ran off. I carried it back to my place (only a few blocks), where
it is in safe storage, locked up.

Now, The question is what to do with this kayak. I posted to the neighborhood listserv, and got a few responses commending me for the action I took, but no one has claimed it yet. The problem is that I am also moving, and I really don't think that I have the room to store this stranger's kayak while I wait for them to respond. And what happens if I get no response? Do i keep it? Can I keep it?

What would you do with a kayak that does not belong to you when you are about to move?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tell the police, i'm sure the person filed a police report when the noticed it was stolen